Wednesday, October 22, 2014
A Lotta Talent and a Little Luck: A Celebration of Stanley Donen
Date(s) & Time(s)::
Daily at 3:00 PM until 11:00 PM from July 26, 2014 until August 26, 2014
Location: Nickelodeon Theater 1607 Main St.
Phone: (803) 254-3433
The Nickelodeon Theatre, South Carolina's only non-profit art house film theater, will host “A Lotta Talent and a Little Luck: A Celebration of Stanley Donen,” with special events July 26 -27 and weekly Donen screenings through August 26.Return to event list.
Donen, a native of Columbia, was born in 1924 and is a film director and choreographer whose most celebrated works are Singin’ in the Rain and On the Town, both of which he co-directed with actor and dancer Gene Kelly. As Donen celebrates his 90th birthday, the Nickelodeon has put together a month-long series of films and events to honor Donen, who is arguably the greatest living director from Hollywood’s golden age.
“On my first day of work at the Nickelodeon, I was give a copy of Steven Silverman’s Dancing on the Ceiling: Stanley Donen and his Movies,” said Andy Smith, executive director of the Nickelodeon Theatre. “I was shocked to learn that Stanley grew up here in Columbia. It’s made clear that much of Stanley’s film education – comprised of frequent visits to the movie theaters near his father’s shop on Main Street – took place in the very building that now houses the Nickelodeon. Columbia should take a lot of pride in Stanley and his work.”
A Lotta Talent and a Little Luck schedule of events:
Sat., July 26:
- 6 & 6:30 p.m.: Meet at Hollywood Park (300 S. Gregg St.) and join Historic Columbia Foundation for free walking tours of the historic Hollywood-Rose Hill neighborhood, where Stanley Donen grew up, including a stop in front of his childhood home.
- 7 p.m.: DJ Scott Padgett, bring-your-own picnic and family fun in Hollywood Park, near Stanley Donen’s childhood home.
- 8 p.m. Free outdoor screening of Singin’ in the Rain.
Sun., July 27:
- 3 p.m.: Free reception and lecture featuring Stephen Silverman, editor at People Magazine and Donen’s biographer, at the Nickelodeon Theatre (1607 Main St.).
Sat., August 9:
- 10 a.m.: Screening of The Little Prince as part of Family Fun Day at the Nick.
Donen screenings (Monday showings at 5:30 p.m, Tuesday showings at 3 p.m.)
- July 28 and 29: On the Town
- August 4 and 5: Charade
- August 11 and 12: Royal Wedding
- August 18 and 19: Funny Face
- August 25 and 26: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.
Wind: 0 MPH
Humidity: 42 %