Fire Victim: 'Everything is gone'
Red Cross helps victims rebuild
COLUMBIA, S.C. (WOLO) -- A Sunday night apartment blaze leaves several people homeless, as the Red Cross assists them in picking up the pieces Monday and in the days to come.
71-year-old Elizabeth Rook is not exaggerating when she says nothing in her apartment home was salvaged after a blaze took out hers and several other units in the complex.
It happened Sunday night at the Hampton Park apartments on Blossom Street in Columbia.
Amateur cell phone video captured flames enveloping the units. The fire was caused, officials say, by food cooking that was left unattended. While the flames are gone, the devastation left behind won't soon be forgotten.
Rook is thankful the Midlands Chapter of the American Red Cross stepped in to help. Officials say they cannot help such victims without continued generous donations. You can make a financial contribution to the American Red Cross today by visiting www.columbiaregionredcross.org or by calling 803-540-1241. Donations may also be mailed to the American Red Cross, P.O. Box 91, Columbia, SC, 29202.
Wind: 5 MPH
Humidity: 72 %