Flesh-Eating Bacteria Kills Charleston Man

Tools

By News Department

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) - Authorities say a Charleston man has died after contracting flesh-eating bacteria.

The coroner's office said 55-year-old Anthony Hills died Saturday, hours after his family took him to the Medical University of South Carolina.

Family members told WCSC-TV that Hills had a swollen arm and complained of not feeling well before he went to the hospital. Doctors amputated the arm and were considering amputating his leg before he died.

The necrotizing fasciitis that killed Hill is a rare infection that often attacks the body through a new cut or injury.

Add a comment

Name:

Comment: 1000 Characters Left

ABC Columbia and its affiliated companies are not responsible for the content of comments posted or for anything arising out of use of the above comments or other interaction among the users. We reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove or edit user-generated content at any time and for any or no reason in our absolute and sole discretion without prior notice, although we have no duty to do so or to monitor any Public Forum.

Columbia
Current: 94°
Partly Cloudy
High: 94°
Low: 74°
Wind: 6 MPH
Pressure: 29.92
Humidity: 46 %

What's on WOLOTV Full Schedule