Wednesday, June 19, 2013
Midlands Residents Go Without Lunch
COLUMBIA, S.C. (WOLO) -- For just $10.00 a South Carolina family could have a meal they would normally have to go without, that's according to Harvest Hope Food Bank.
Today, Harvest Hope worked to change that and feed thousands of South Carolina families by getting other residents to stop eating, at least one meal, lunch or dinner.
"We think it's very important for peopole to know, just to have awarensess about the hunger issue that we have in the state of South Carolina," says Heather Bauer, Director of Operations at the Nickelodeon Theatre & Board Member for Harvest Hope Producers.
It was all part of the event 'Hold Out for Hunger,' participants were encouraged to go without eating lunch or dinner and instead give the money they would've spent on those meals to Harvest Hope.
"For every dollar raised, we could actually feed seven people," says Jason Pikus, the Cason Group & Chairman of the Harvest Hope Producers.
This is the second year for the event, organizers hoped to surpass last year's goal of $5,000.00
If you were unable to attend the 'Hold Out for Hunger' event at the Nickelodeon Theatre today, you can mail a donation to Harvest Hope at 1330 Lady Street, Columbia, SC 29202 ATTN: Ebonn Hixson or donate online at www.harvesthope.org.
Wind: 6 MPH
Humidity: 82 %