Sunday, March 1, 2015
Spurrier Talks National Signing Day
COLUMBIA, S.C. (WOLO) -- Steve Spurrier addressed the media Wednesday afternoon to discuss National Signing Day.
Here are the notes from Spurrier's press conference:
- Spurrier said overall it was a good day for the Gamecocks and believes the class addressed a lot of their needs.
- He said USC signed seven defensive linemen and four cornerbacks with prospect Wesley Green still left on the board.
- Spurrier called defensive end Dexter Wideman (Four-star prospect who switched his commitment from FSU to USC) a good pickup. Said the big thing with Wideman was his association with all the other in-state recruits that helped push him to USC.
- Said the South Carolina coaching staff did an excellent job recruiting, as well as the players who hosted the prospects on their visits.
- Spurrier said South Carolina is not going to be No. 1 in the country in recruiting this year, adding that the same team is always No. 1 in the country in recruiting.
- He said quarterback Michael Scarnecchia came to football camp at USC and stayed in contact with the school. Spurrier said he likes his work ethic.
- Spurrier said he believes the national media does not give South Carolina enough attention on National Signing Day, despite their on-field performance and number four national ranking.
- Spurrier on the new prospects, "Those who come ready to work to be the best they can be are the ones you want to have."
- Commenting on the star-system that ranks prospects, "We don't pay attention to how many stars a recruit has, more interested in how hard someone wants to work," said Spurrier.
Wind: 5 MPH
Humidity: 89 %