Watch out for Online Dating Scams
COLUMBIA, S.C. (WOLO) - When it comes to dating, it takes a lot of courage to put yourself out there.
The state's Department of Consumer Affairs wants to make sure you don't get taken advantage of, especially in this day and age.
That's because more people are turning to matchmaking services online.
It's providing the following tips:
1. Take Your Time. Avoid high pressure sales tactics. If it is a reputable company, the service will be there tomorrow.
2. Read the contract. It may seem obvious, but you must read the entire contract. Verbal contracts are difficult to prove. Make sure you have a written contract, all terms are included and you fully understand them. Ask questions or consult with someone you trust before you sign. Make sure you get a copy of the
3. No guarantees. Be suspicious of promises that sound too good to be true. Make sure you understand the services being offered and the time frame in which they will be provided.
4. Cancellation policies. Verify the cancellation policy. What would you need to do to opt out? Are there any fees associated with cancelling?
5. “It worked for me!” Take any “testimonials” with a grain of salt. You don’t know if they are true or fake.
Wind: 6 MPH
Humidity: 44 %