Cigarette Cause of Apartment Fire

Tools

By Crandall Sims

COLUMBIA, S.C. (WOLO) - A fire at a Columbia apartment complex that left four people without homes, according to the Columbia Fire Department, was caused by a discarded cigarette.

A fire spokesperson says the improper discarding of smoking materials caused the blaze at the Byron Road Apartments, Monday.

One apartment was completely destroyed, while three others were damaged. Damage from the blaze is estimated at more than $27,000.

The American Red Cross is assisting the victims.

Add a comment

Name:

Comment: 1000 Characters Left

ABC Columbia and its affiliated companies are not responsible for the content of comments posted or for anything arising out of use of the above comments or other interaction among the users. We reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove or edit user-generated content at any time and for any or no reason in our absolute and sole discretion without prior notice, although we have no duty to do so or to monitor any Public Forum.

Most Popular

Columbia
Current: 72°
Partly Cloudy
High: 74°
Low: 70°
Wind: 7 MPH
Pressure: 30.01
Humidity: 59 %

What's on WOLOTV Full Schedule