Friday, August 29, 2014
Men's Basketball Hosts SC State Friday
COLUMBIA, S.C. (USC SID) -- South Carolina concludes a stretch of eight games in 18 days on Friday when it hosts intrastate rival SC State in the final non-conference contest before SEC play starts for the Gamecocks next week at Florida. South Carolina has never lost to the Bulldogs, owning a 19-0 all-time record vs. SCSU. The Gamecocks have won three straight and four of their last five games entering Friday evening's game.
Date: Friday, Jan. 3, 2014
Tipoff: 7 p.m. ET
Location: Columbia, S.C.
Arena: Colonial Life Arena (18,000)
Series: South Carolina leads 19-0
Last Meeting: South Carolina win, 80-69, on Jan. 5, 2013, in Columbia, S.C.
Broadcast: Fox Sports Carolinas/SportSouth
Talent: Andy Demetra (pxp), Eddie Fogler (analyst)
Radio: Gamecock Radio Network/107.5 The Game in Columbia
Sirius: 93; XM: 199
Talent: Derek Scott (pxp), Casey Manning (analyst)
Carolina Quick Hits
- South Carolina is in its 106th season of basketball.
- The Gamecocks are led by Frank Martin in his second year. Matt Figger is the associate head coach, and Perry Clark and Lamont Evans are assistant coaches. Andy Assaley is in his second year as the director of operations for the Gamecocks.
- South Carolina posted a 92-65 victory over visiting Marshall on Monday, behind team-highs of 18 points from both senior guard Brenton Williams and junior guard Tyrone Johnson. The 92 points scored by Carolina were the most this season, and the most since scoring 91 last season in a victory over Jacksonville on Dec. 7, 2012. The Gamecocks shot 51.5 percent (34-66) in the contest, while holding the Thundering Herd to just 37.8 percent (17-45) from the field.
- During the course of its current 3-game win streak, South Carolina is averaging just 9.3 turnovers per game, compared to 17.7 turnovers per game from its opponent. South Carolina has scored 21.3 points per game off of opponent turnovers during the stretch.
- Williams set a new South Carolina record for consecutive free throws made when he hit his lone attempt from the line for one of his 18 points vs. Marshall. Williams has now hit 42 straight free throws dating back to last season. He broke a record held by John Roche since the 1969-70 campaign.
- Entering Friday's contest vs. SC State, South Carolina's strength of schedule ranks 18th in the country according to CBSSports.com and 19th according to ESPN.com.
Scouting SC State
South Carolina State enters Friday's matchup with a 4-8 record after most recently posting a victory over Coastal Carolina on Dec. 30 ... The team is led by head coach Murray Garvin in his first full season (coached nine games last season) ... Senior forward Matthew Hezekiah leads the team as the only Bulldog to average double-figures with 12.5 per contest this season ... Sophomore forward Darryl Palmer collects a team best 6.6 rebounds per contest ... SCSU owns a 1-6 record on the road this season, with a victory at Coastal Carolina (Dec. 30) ... Nine different players average at least 10.5 minutes per game for South Carolina State.
Series vs. SC State
Friday's meeting marks the 20th all-time between the Gamecocks and Bulldogs on the basketball court. South Carolina has never lost to its intrastate rival, owning a 19-0 mark in the all-time series.
By The Numbers
Last 3 - During its current 3-game win streak, South Carolina is averaging: 79.7 points, 17.0 assists, 4.0 blocks, 6.3 steals, is out-scoring its opponents by 23.3 points, has hit 46 percent from the field, 44 percent from 3-point range and 74 percent from the foul line.
54 - South Carolina posted 54 points in the paint in the win vs. Marshall, the most points scored in the paint for the Gamecocks during the Frank Martin era.
49.3 - During its current 3-game win streak, South Carolina has scored 30.3 points per game in the first half, but has tallied 49.3 points per game in the second half.
29.5% - Carolina's perimeter defense has been stellar over the course of the last five games, as opponents have hit just 29.5 percent (26-88) from beyond the arc during the stretch. To compare, the Gamecocks have hit 40.7 percent (24-59) - including Brenton Williams' 51.7 percent (15-29) - during the stretch.
6 - Freshman point guard Duane Notice has hit a season high with six assists in back-to-back games entering Friday's matchup vs. SC State. Over the course of the last five games, he has posted 3.4 assists per game.
34 - The Gamecocks hit 34 shots in the win vs. Marshall, the most made field goals for Carolina since posting 35 vs. Elon on Nov. 12, 2010.
4 - Sophomore forward Michael Carrera set a new career high with four blocked shots vs. Marshall on Monday. His previous high was three blocks, which he had done on two occassions.
South Carolina begins SEC play when it travels to face No. 12/13 Florida in Gainesville on Wednesday, Jan. 8. The game will tip at 7 p.m., and will be televised on CSS. The contest will also be broadcast on Time Warner Cable Channel 506 to customers in the Carolinas with a digital box, and standard cable as a minimum package. The game will also be available on channel 491 for Sports Pass subscribers.
Wind: 0 MPH
Humidity: 71 %