Thursday, May 28, 2015
Tigers Tip Off NIT Semifinals Against SMU
NEW YORK (CU SID) -- Clemson tips off the NIT semifinals 7 p.m. Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden against SMU on ESPN2.
• Clemson takes on SMU in the first NIT semifinal Tuesday; it
is the first meeting between the two schools since the 1970-71
season, a 67-51 Tiger win at the Music City Classic in Nashville.
• The Tigers are making their fourth appearance in Madison
Square Garden, all in the NIT. Clemson played in the famous
venue in 1975, 1999 and 2007 previously. This is the third time
Clemson has played in the semifinals of the postseason event.
• Clemson needs one win to set the single-season school record for
improvement in terms of total wins. The Tigers tied the record at +10, going
from 13 wins last season to 23 currently. The 1938-39 Clemson team also had
a 10-win improvement over the previous season.
• Last Tuesday, Clemson established the second-longest home winning streak
ever in the NIT with its 12th consecutive victory in Littlejohn Coliseum.
• The Tigers are coming off their second-best three-point percentage in a
game (.476) this season, and matched a season-high with 10 makes from long
distance in a 73-68 win over Belmont on March 25.
• K.J. McDaniels is the sixth player in Clemson history to score at 600 points
in a season. He is 49 points shy of breaking the single-season school record of
651 shared by Bill Yarborough (1954-55) and Horace Grant (1986-87).
• Clemson is 8-3 over its last 11 games, and guard Damarcus Harrison has
averaged 11.7 points per contest during that stretch. He is 17-for-44 from
three in those 11 games, a .386 figure.
Wind: 3 MPH
Humidity: 74 %