Wednesday, July 1, 2015
Gamecocks To Host 2013 NCAA Baseball Regional
Columbia, S.C. (USC SID) – South Carolina has been selected as one of the 16 regional host institutions for the 2013 NCAA Division I Baseball Championship as announced by the NCAA Division I Baseball Committee on Sunday evening.
By virtue of being awarded a regional, South Carolina has been selected as an at-large to the 64-team field of the NCAA Baseball Tournament. South Carolina heads into the postseason with a 39-18 record.
More information on the 2013 Columbia Regional will be released following the announcement of the 64-team field on Monday afternoon at Noon p.m. ET on ESPNU.
This will be South Carolina’s 29th overall appearance in the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. South Carolina won back-to-national championships after winning the College World Series in 2010 and 2011 along with four national runner-up finishes in 1975, 1977, 2002 and 2012. South Carolina has reached 11 College World Series in school history. South Carolina’s 14 consecutive trips to the NCAA Baseball Tournament (2000-present) is the longest current streak of the 14 SEC schools.
“I’m happy and excited for our players, coaches and Gamecock Nation that we have been invited to play in this year’s NCAA Tournament,” said South Carolina head coach Chad Holbrook. “We look forward to playing at home at Carolina Stadium in front of the best fans in college baseball.”
This marks the 15th time in school history that the Gamecocks will host an NCAA Regional in baseball. Since the move to the Regional-Super Regional format in 1999, Carolina has hosted an NCAA Regional nine times (2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013).
A limited number of NCAA Baseball Regional booklets are now available to the general public. A booklet includes tickets for all games in the Regional, which will be held Friday, May 31, through Monday, June 3. Booklets are available for $84 each and are sold on a first-come, first-serve basis. Fans purchasing the booklet will secure their actual seat locations at the time of the purchase.
Single game tickets for Regional games will go on sale Monday, May 27, at 10 a.m. Single game tickets will be sold for $15, but there is no guarantee on their availability.
To purchase Regional tickets, visit www.GamecocksOnline.com/tickets, or call 803-777-4274 or 800-4SC-FANS (800-472-3267). NCAA postseason regulations state that every person entering the stadium must have a ticket.
The 16 regional sites, with host institutions and records (through May 26) are as follows:
• Baton Rouge, Louisiana – LSU (52-9)
• Blacksburg, Virginia – Virginia Tech (38-20)
• Bloomington, Indiana – Indiana (43-14)
• Chapel Hill, North Carolina – North Carolina (52-8)
• Charlottesville, Virginia – Virginia (47-10)
• Corvallis, Oregon – Oregon State (45-10)
• Columbia, South Carolina – South Carolina (39-18)
• Eugene, Oregon – Oregon (45-14)
• Fullerton, California – Cal State Fullerton (48-8)
• Los Angeles, California – *UCLA (38-17)
• Louisville, Kentucky – Louisville (46-10)
• Manhattan, Kansas – Kansas St. (41-17)
• Nashville, Tennessee – Vanderbilt (51-9)
• Raleigh, North Carolina – North Carolina State (44-14)
• Starkville, Mississippi – Mississippi State (43-17)
• Tallahassee, Florida – Florida State (44-15)
*Teams that still playing today (Sunday, May 26)
Wind: 9 MPH
Humidity: 77 %