Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Blythewood Native Part of NFL Draft History
COLUMBIA, SC (WOLO) -- For the first time since 1969, a football player from Presbyterian College has been drafted into the National Football League. Blythewood native Justin Bethel was selected in the 6th round (177th overall) by the Arizona Cardinals.
Bethel played safety for the Blue Hose and started all four years. He blocked nine kicks in his career and returned a punt for a touchdown.
Bethel is the highest pick ever to come out of Presbyterian College. The school's last NFL draft pick before today was the Green Bay Packers selection of Dan Eckstein in the 15th round of the 1969 draft.
Round-Up of NFL Draft's Final Day:
- 115th Coty Sensabaugh/DB (Clemson): Titans
- 130th Christian Thompson/DB (SC State): Ravens
- 150th Rokvious Watkins/OL (Gamecocks): Rams
- 242nd Antonio Allen/DB (Gamecocks): Jets
- 249th Travian Robertson/DT (Gamecocks): Falcons
Wind: 5 MPH
Humidity: 94 %