$510M Charleston Harbor Deepening passes another milestone
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — The $510 million deepening of the Charleston Harbor shipping channel has reached another milestone.
U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham says he was told Wednesday that the project has been approved by the federal Office of Management and Budget. That means it now moves to Congress so lawmakers can approve funding for the federal share of the work.
The Army Corps of Engineers last year recommended that the harbor channel be deepened to 52 feet to accommodate a new generation of larger containership. The federal government’s share of the project is just over $200 million.
State lawmakers have already put aside more than $300 million so the work can begin and the state can later seek reimbursement for the federal share.
The project is expected to be completed in about four years.