Drone Video Captures Deadly Earthquake Aftermath in Ecuador



(ABC News) — Drone video captured a collapsed highway overpass in Guayaquil, Ecuador — located about 180 miles from the epicenter — after a powerful magnitude-7.8 earthquake devastated the area over the weekend.

The one-minute-33-second aerial video showed the buckled bridge surrounded by construction crews and onlookers.

The video shows just a fraction of the structural damage caused by what the country’s vice president referred to as “the strongest quake” to hit the country’s central coast in “decades.”



The quake has so far killed 272 people and injured more than 2,000, President Rafael Correa said. Vice President Jorge Glas added it was the strongest seismic event in the country since 1979.

PHOTO: Rescue workers stand behind rubble after an earthquake in Portoviejo, Ecuador, April 17, 2016. Rescuers pulled survivors from the rubble Sunday after the strongest earthquake to hit Ecuador in decades.Carlos Sacoto/AP
Rescue workers stand behind rubble after an earthquake in Portoviejo, Ecuador, April 17, 2016. Rescuers pulled survivors from the rubble Sunday after the strongest earthquake to hit Ecuador in decades.more +

People have been documenting through social media the chaos that erupted soon after the quake struck.




A state of emergency was announced in six of Ecuador’s provinces.

The U.S. State Department said there have been no reports of U.S. citizens among the dead, but added they’re still working to confirm reports of injured U.S. citizens.

Categories: National News