11 Year old Dies from Brain Eating Amoeba

Charleston, S.C. (WOLO) — 

hannah collins

(Photo Courtesy: WCIV ABC News 4)

An 11-year-old girl diagnosed with a brain-eating amoeba has  now died.

According to the Beaufort Gazette,  Hannah Collins died Friday after a nearly two week battle with the deadly bacteria.

Health officials believe Collins was exposed to the organism while swimming in the Edisto River back in July after possibly getting water in her nose.

Funeral Arrangements have not yet been announced.

Categories: Local News, News