Changing of the Guard postponed at UK palaces due to coronavirus
Coronavirus has also interrupted the life of Britain's royal family.
By Katie Kindelan via GMA
ABC News – Britain’s royal family is being affected by the coronavirus pandemic as cases of COVID-19, as it is officially known, continue to grow in the United Kingdom.
Prince George and Princess Charlotte, the two oldest children of Prince William and Kate, will be homeschooled starting Friday.
Their school, Thomas’s Battersea, a private school located near Kensington Palace, is switching to online learning for the week before school holidays, a spokesperson confirmed Wednesday.
The statement from Thomas’s Battersea came as U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced that all schools in the country will be closed from Friday until further notice.
Thomas’s Battersea was affected by the coronavirus pandemic as early as February, when a few students at the school self-isolated as they awaited test results.
Kensington Palace has not commented. Prince William and Kate, also the parents of 1-year-old Prince Louis, have seen their schedule of official royal engagements reduced as events, like annual St. Patrick’s Day celebrations, have been canceled or postponed.
Changing of the Guard postponed
The U.K. government’s advice to avoid mass gatherings has led to the postponement of the famous Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace, St. James’s Palace and Windsor Castle.
“Advice will be reviewed on an ongoing basis, with a view to restarting when appropriate,” Buckingham Palace said in a statement Friday.
Prince William, Prince Harry and Meghan offer their help
Prince William spoke out Wednesday about a fundraising appeal launched by the National Emergencies Trust (NET) to help people in the U.K. affected by coronavirus.
“I dreaded the day when it would be needed,” William said in a video shared by Kensington Palace, referring to the NET, which was created last year to help people “at the time of a domestic disaster,” according to its website. “Sadly, with the outbreak of Covid-19, that day has come faster than any of us would have hoped.”
“Whenever and wherever adversity strikes, the people of the UK have a unique ability to pull together,” he said.
The @NatEmergTrust has launched an appeal to raise funds to help local charities support individuals suffering hardship as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.
Find out more 👇https://t.co/aWvQCNUvdD pic.twitter.com/YaftXRtiWW
— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) March 18, 2020
William’s brother Prince Harry and his wife Duchess Meghan also offered coronavirus help to the public via their Instagram account Sussex Royal.
The couple said they plan to share “information and resources to help all of us navigate the uncertainty: from posting accurate information and facts from trusted experts, to learning about measures we can take to keep ourselves and our families healthy, to working with organisations that can support our mental and emotional well-being.”
“In addition, we will focus on the inspiring stories of how so many of you around the world are connecting in ways big and small to lift all of us up,” they wrote.
View this post on Instagram
These are uncertain times. And now, more than ever, we need each other. We need each other for truth, for support, and to feel less alone during a time that can honestly feel quite scary. There are so many around the world who need support right now, who are working tirelessly to respond to this crisis behind the scenes, on the frontline, or at home. Our willingness, as a people, to step up in the face of what we are all experiencing with COVID-19 is awe-inspiring. This moment is as true a testament there is to the human spirit. We often speak of compassion. All of our lives are in some way affected by this, uniting each of us globally. How we approach each other and our communities with empathy and kindness is indisputably important right now. Over the coming weeks, this will be our guiding principle. We will be sharing information and resources to help all of us navigate the uncertainty: from posting accurate information and facts from trusted experts, to learning about measures we can take to keep ourselves and our families healthy, to working with organisations that can support our mental and emotional well-being. In addition, we will focus on the inspiring stories of how so many of you around the world are connecting in ways big and small to lift all of us up. We are all in this together, and as a global community we can support each other through this process – and build a digital neighbourhood that feels safe for every one of us. We look forward to sharing more over the days and weeks to come…
Princess Beatrice’s wedding plans change
Prince William’s cousin, Princess Beatrice, is adjusting her wedding plans because of coronavirus.
View this post on Instagram
Beabea – wow! I’m so happy for you my dearest big sissy and dear Edo. It’s been a long time coming and you two are meant to be. 📷 by me!! “We are extremely happy to be able to share the news of our recent engagement. We are both so excited to be embarking on this life adventure together and can’t wait to actually be married. We share so many similar interests and values and we know that this will stand us in great stead for the years ahead, full of love and happiness”
Buckingham Palace announced Wednesday that Beatrice, the eldest daughter of Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson, and her fiance Mapelli Mozzi have decided to cancel their wedding reception at Buckingham Palace Gardens and are reviewing all plans for their May 29th wedding.
“They are particularly conscious of government advice in relation to both the wellbeing of older family members and large gatherings of people,” the statement said, in part. “The couple will carefully consider government advice before deciding whether a private marriage might take place amongst a small group of family and friends.”
Queen Elizabeth leaves early for Windsor
Queen Elizabeth left her home at Buckingham Palace for Windsor Castle on Thursday, one week earlier than she had planned to leave for her Easter holiday, according to Buckingham Palace.
The 93-year-old queen, who, with Prince Philip, is likely to stay at Windsor Castle beyond Easter Sunday, still received people at Buckingham Palace this week, though with the type of social distancing that experts recommend to slow the spread of coronavirus.
A message from Her Majesty The Queen.https://t.co/xVJmB7aU40 pic.twitter.com/HLHqRnZGIP
— The Royal Family (@RoyalFamily) March 19, 2020
There were no handshakes when Queen Elizabeth welcomed Captain Angus Essenhigh, the new Commanding Officer of the Royal Navy warship HMS Queen Elizabeth, and his predecessor Commodore Steven Moorhouse, at Buckingham Palace Wednesday, according to the U.K. Press Association.
There were no handshakes – only bows from Captain Angus Essenhigh, the new Commanding Officer of the Royal Navy warship HMS Queen Elizabeth, and his predecessor Commodore Steven Moorhouse. pic.twitter.com/CIC052ofrb
— PA Royal Reporters (@PARoyal) March 18, 2020
Annual royal events canceled
Buckingham Palace announced earlier this week it has canceled several upcoming events that were to be attended by large crowds and members of the royal family.
As a sensible precaution and for practical reasons in the current circumstances, a number of changes are being made to The Queen’s diary.
Read our press release in full:https://t.co/dWXKCT0AQj
— The Royal Family (@RoyalFamily) March 17, 2020
The canceled events include the annual Maundy Service at St. George’s Chapel, three garden parties hosted annually by Queen Elizabeth at Buckingham Palace and two other garden parties given for the Not Forgotten Association and the National Trust, according to Buckingham Palace.
The palace said it is still waiting to decide whether other future events including Trooping the Colour and a state visit by the Emperor and Empress of Japan will go on.