Watch: Traffic Stops Tips from RCSD
COLUMBIA, SC (WOLO)–The Richland County Sheriff’s Department is releasing some tips on what to do at a traffic stop.
· Immediately pull over to the nearest right-hand edge or curb of the roadway.
· Pull your car over as close as possible to the curb of the roadway and stay clear of any intersections.
· Stop and remain in such position until the authorized emergency vehicle has either passed or wait for the deputy to approach your car.
IF YOU ARE BEING PULLED OVER AND AN DEPUTY IS APPROACHING YOUR CAR
· Stay in your vehicle and keep your hands visible.
· If it is dark outside – turn on your interior vehicle light.
· Follow the directions of the deputy.
· South Carolina law requires drivers to show their license, registration and proof of insurance upon request
· Be honest with the deputy and ask for an explanation if something is unclear.
· Be reminded that accepting the citation is not an admission of guilt – you will have the opportunity to contest the citation in court later
[gtxvideo vid=’tBd6dXUH’ thumb=’http://player.gtxcel.com/thumbs/tBd6dXUH.jpg’ vtitle=’Watch: Traffic Stops Tips from RCSD’]