SCDMV Begins Accepting Paperwork for REAL ID Monday

COLUMBIA, S.C. (WOLO) – South Carolinians who wish to get a REAL ID-compliant card, can start filing paperwork at Department of Motor Vehicle branches across the state, beginning Monday.

You do not need a REAL ID-compliant card to do many of the things your current license allows you to do. The state was authorized to begin working towards full compliance and implementation of the federal REAL ID Act of 2005 upon Governor Henry McMaster’s signature of House Bill 3358 in early April.

If you choose to bring your documents to the SCDMV early, you may be able to order a REAL ID-compliant license online in the future. REAL ID cards are not available at this time.

If interested in a REAL ID-compliant card, gather your documents and bring them to an SCDMV branch office, keeping four things in mind:

  • Changing your current SC license or ID to a REAL ID-compliant card is optional and voluntary. If you feel you will not be boarding a commercial flight, visiting a secure federal building, or a military base, you do not need a REAL ID-compliant license or ID.
  • If you have a valid US Passport/Passport Card, military ID, or another federally approved identification, you may use that as your form of identification to board a commercial flight or visit a secure federal building or military base, but you must carry it with you for the above activities.
  • On and after October 1, 2020, you must have some form of a federally approved identification (whether that is a REAL ID-compliant SC license or ID, US Passport/Passport Card, or another federally approved identification) to board a commercial flight, even within the US, or visit a secure federal facility.
  • The SCDMV website,, provides real-time access to wait times at each of the agency’s branch offices. You’re encouraged to use this feature if you decide to bring documents to a branch office. It is suggested you visit a branch office when the wait times are 30 minutes or less.

If you received your first SC beginner’s permit, license, or ID during or after November 2010, you may not have to bring in your documents again. For example, if you turned 15-years-old during or after November 2010 and received your beginner’s permit, the SCDMV should have your documents in the system. Or, if you moved to the state during or after November 2010 and received an SC license, the SCDMV should have your documentation in the system.

If you believe you fall into the category above, you may confirm your documents are on file with the SCDMV by calling the Contact Center at 803-896-5000, beginning Monday, May 15, 2017.

If your documents are not on file and you’re interested in getting a REAL ID-compliant license or ID, in the future, you must bring your identity documents to an SCDMV branch office. Here’s what you will need:

  • Two Proofs of Current SC Address
    • Examples: No more than three-month-old pay stub with your name and address and a no more than three-month-old water bill with your name and address
    • These two proofs cannot come from the same category, such as a water bill from April and a water bill from March.
  • Proof of US Citizenship, Identity, Date of Birth
    • Examples: Original or government-issued copy of your birth certificate or valid US Passport/US Passport Card
  • Proof of Social Security Number
    • Examples: Social security card or W-2 Form with your name, your employer’s name, and your social security number on it.
  • Document(s) Supporting Legal Name Change
    • Examples: Marriage License, Divorce Decree, or Court Order issued by your county’s family court
      • You must show a complete name change history, so bring all documents that prove name changes from birth to present. If you have a US Passport/Passport Card with your legal name, you may use this in place of your name change documents.

You may only bring documents that prove your own identity. You may not bring documents in for people who are not physically in an SCDMV branch office. You must bring original or a certified copy (not notarized) of all documents. The SCDMV will not accept copied or scanned versions. You can find a complete list of accepted documents on the United States Citizens’ Checklist (SCDMV Form MV-93).


Categories: Digital Exclusives and Features, Local News, State