Lawsuit filed against Columbia Housing Authority
COLUMBIA, S.C. (WOLO) – A lawsuit is being filed against the Columbia Housing Authority.
Residents at the Allen-Benedict Court Apartments were evacuated last week after Fire Officials say they found multiple gas leaks in the complex.
According to papers, the lawsuit was filed by former residents Tammy Basinger and Khaylis Scott.
In the lawsuit, both women accuse the Columbia Housing Authority of not taking action after people complained for months or years about numerous gas leaks.
Housing Authority officials say more than 400 residents were evacuated from the complex.
They have not commented on the lawsuit.
Richland County Coroner Gary Watts says 61 year old Calvin Witherspoon and 30 year old Derrick Roper were found during welfare checks at apartments in Allen-Benedict Court on January 17.
Coroner Watts said no foul play is expected for these deaths.
The cause of death, for both, is carbon monixide poisoning, according to Watts.
According to the Columbia Fire Department, during an inspection, they found numerous fire code violations including the presence of natural gas, carbon monoxide, and missing smoke alarms.
Housing Authority attorney, Bob Coble, says they’re searching for permanent housing for the evicted residents.