Eight Gamecocks on MLB’s Opening Day rosters
The Gamecock baseball program will have eight players on 2021 Major League Baseball Opening Day rosters, it was announced prior to today’s games.
The following players made the Opening Day roster for their organization:
- Jackie Bradley Jr. (Milwaukee Brewers)
- Wil Crowe (Pittsburgh Pirates)
- Grayson Greiner (Detroit Tigers)
- Whit Merrifield (Kansas City Royals)
- Jordan Montgomery (New York Yankees)
- Christian Walker (Arizona Diamondbacks)
- Tyler Webb (St. Louis Cardinals)
- Taylor Widener (Arizona Diamondbacks)
Crowe makes his first Opening Day roster after joining the Washington Nationals at the middle of the 2020 campaign. Crowe and Bradley Jr., are on new teams this season, joining the Pittsburgh Pirates and Milwaukee Brewers, respectively.
Clarke Schmidt will open the 2021 season on the 60-day injured list, while Tyler Johnson and Max Schrock will be in the Alternate Site Training Camp with the Chicago White Sox and Cincinnati, respectively.
Here are the Opening Day weekend series for the Gamecocks in the Pros
- Minnesota at Milwaukee (Bradley Jr.)
- Pittsburgh (Crowe) at Chicago Cubs
- Cleveland at Detroit (Greiner)
- Texas at Kansas City (Merrifield)
- Toronto at New York Yankees (Montgomery)
- Arizona (Walker and Widener) at San Diego
- St. Louis (Webb) at Cincinnati
Carolina has had 55 former players make Major League Baseball rosters, including four last year (Crowe, Schmidt, Schrock and Widener).