Sumter PD: Three men charged in connection with HVAC unit theft
COLUMBIA, SC (WOLO)– The Sumter Police Department says three men have been arrested in connection with the theft and attempted theft of multiple HVAC units from businesses.
On November 14, police say surveillance video shows three men at a Broad Street business at the time of the theft. On November 19, officers say they responded to another business where three HVAC units were removed but left behind.
Through help from the public, investigators say they were able to identify the three suspects and bring them into custody. Authorities say 32-year-old Joshua Aaron Avin, 42-year-old Frank Richard Green and 49-year-old Adam Nicholas Lyles are all charged with two counts of grand larceny, possession of burglary tools and criminal conspiracy. Police say they were taken to the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office Detention Center.
The Sumter Police Department wants to remind the public to be on the lookout for thieves and says you should take the following precautions:
- Make sure your security systems are working properly and maintain adequate lighting during all hours.
- Having adequate lighting inside and outside of your home and business can also act as a deterrent to mischief. In addition, trim trees and bushes to eliminate hiding spots.
- Regularly check outdoor equipment and storage areas. Maintain records of items and their serial numbers. When possible, mark or engrave your belongings so that it can be easily identified.
- Stay alert. Pay attention to persons or vehicles that are acting out of the ordinary and notify law enforcement.
- Use a buddy system when closing or leaving to make deposits or other transactions.