Watch: Dozens Displaced By Apartment Fire


Columbia , S.C. (WOLO) — On Sunday night, dozens were displaced from their homes after a fire broke out at the Lake Shore Village Apartment Complex.

“It blew it up like a bomb,” said neighbor Raymond Toshay.
Toshay described the raging fire that shot flames several feet high. He said he ran into the smokey building to save his girlfriends dog.
“I walked in there and I saw the flame and everything but I just wanted to save a life and everyone got out safe, the puppy got saved,” explained Toshay.
Neighbors who said they witnessed the blaze, recalled their shock as they observed from afar.
“That whole building there on that side of the apartment, the flames were up that high near that tree and then it started spreading all the way down through there and I saw people running in and out of the door, moving their cars and trucks,” said neighbor Ernest Richardson.
The Columbia Fire Department said the fire was due to accidental unattended cooking, which severely destroyed at least 8 units and left several others damaged from smoke and water.
“It’s not describable,” said Toshay. “It’s just smokey and you can’t walk in there, there’s water and everything, it’s terrible.”
Officials said no one was injured in the fire. Managers at Lake Shore Village Apartments said they have units available for the victims and they are also collecting donations in their front office for victims affected by the blaze.
Categories: Local News, News