Annual ‘Midlands Gives’ Hopes to Draw Big Dividends for Local Nonprofits
COLUMBIA, SC (WOLO) — More than 375 local nonprofits will participate in the third annual ‘Midlands Gives’, a 24-hour online giving challenge presented by Central Carolina Community Foundation.
The online day of giving is Tuesday, May 3 and has been extended until noon on Wednesday, May 4.
To view the full list of nonprofits and review profiles on each, click here.
Midlands Gives headquarters will be in a new location this year.
This year, the home of the Columbia Fireflies, Spirit Communications Park located on Bull Street will serve as the backdrop for ‘giving central.’
The free event will offer guests the opportunity to donate at giving stations; there will be concessions, games, evening entertainment by the Heart ‘n Soul band, a Noon pitching contest featuring mayors from around the Midlands, and a “nonprofit marketplace” where residents can meet the staff and volunteers of several participating charities in a festive, family-friendly environment.
- First Citizens Power Hour ($1,000 to 1 small & 1 large nonprofit w/ most unique donors; announced 8am): PAALS (small) & Historic Columbia (large)
- #ColonialLifeCares Prize 1 ($500, randomly drawn; announced 8am): St. John Neumann
- Announcement of SCE&G “Energize Prize” – If we raise $1 million by 5pm, SCE&G will donate $1,000 each to 30 randomly drawn nonprofits
- “BB&T First 100 Gifts” check presentation by Bam Gressette, Central Carolina Community Foundation board member and Regional Director of Portfolio Management for South Carolina, Georgia and Florida for BB&T Wealth Management (nonprofit winners TBA)
- Regional Mayors’ Pitching Contest, sponsored by Nephron, 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., featuring Midlands mayors pitching for their favorite causes
- Food and drink concessions during lunch, 11:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m
- Governor Nikki Haley on-site 1-1:30 p.m.
- Nonprofit Marketplace w/ tables manned by 70 nonprofits, until 8:00 p.m.
- Happy Hour with food, beer and wine concessions, 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Live concert during Happy Hour by Heart n’ Soul band, 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Meet-and-greet with Columbia Fireflies mascot, Mason, 5:30 p.m. to 6:30p.m.
- Nonprofit supporters can come and cheer for their causes on live newscasts at4pm, 5pm, 6pm, 7pm and 11pm
Please check back for updates.
Follow the writer on Twitter.