Coroner: Midlands Teen Died From too Much Caffeine

Davis Cripe

RICHLAND COUNTY, S.C. (WOLO) – The Richland County Coroner said a  Spring Hill High School student died as a result of ingesting large amounts of caffeine.

During a press conference Monday, the father of 16-year-old Davis Cripe said he hopes parents will talk to their kids about consuming energy drinks.

Coroner Gary Watts said Cripe had a large Diet Mountain Dew, a latte from McDonald’s and an energy drink the day he collapsed at the school.

Watts said the final cause of death was determined to be due to a caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia.

“The purpose here today is no to slam mountain dew, not to slam cafe lattes, it’s not to slam energy drinks. What we want to do here today is make people understand that these drinks, this amount of caffeine highly ingested, can have dire consequences,” said Watts.


Categories: Local News, National News, News, Richland