Deputies: no shooting at State Fair
Columbia, S.C. (WOLO)– A scary scene this evening at the South Carolina State Fair.
Several fair-goers reported hearing what sounded like gunshots prompting peoople to run for the exits.
Richland County deputies say there was not a shooting.
No word on where the sounds came from.
State Fair General Manager Nancy Smith released this statement following the incident:
“Earlier tonight (Oct. 12) – The SC State Fair experienced young adults running through the grounds in waves, which created a disruption and understandably anxiety for our patrons.
“We have confirmed with several area law enforcement agencies that no shots were fired on the fairgrounds and, fortunately, no serious injuries occurred.
“Law enforcement was able to bring the situation under control in a timely manner and in an abundance of caution, we decided to close our Midway at 11 p.m.
“We are very grateful for the efforts of the Richland County Sheriff’s Department and the South Carolina Highway Patrol. We will remain diligent in our efforts to maintain the highest customer safety standards that fairgoers have become accustomed to.
“As J. T. McLawhorn, President and CEO of the Columbia Urban League reminded us….The fair is much like a sanctuary. Violence has no place in a sanctuary and therefore violence has no place at the SC State Fair.
“As with all our other security measures, our youth admission policy remains in place, and we will continue to stringently enforce that policy.”
South Carolina State Fair Youth Entrance Policy
- All youth under the age of 18 are required to be accompanied by a parent (21 & older) to be admitted to the State Fair after 6:00 p.m.
- Anyone age 18 and over may be asked to show a valid driver’s license for proof of age to be admitted to the State Fair without parent after 6:00 p.m.
- Anyone age 18 and over without a valid driver’s license and not accompanied by a parent will not be admitted after 6:00 p.m.
- Persons wearing clothing or jewelry which the fair management deems as offensive or gang related will not be permitted to enter the fairgrounds.
- Exceptions and challenges to this policy will be handled at the discretion of the State Fair management.