Armed man shot and killed after entering secure perimeter of Mar-a-Lago, Secret Service says
EDITED BY CURTIS YEE
MAR-A-LAGO, FL (WOLO) — An armed man drove into the secure perimeter of Mar-a-Lago, President Donald Trump’s resort in Palm Beach, Florida, as another vehicle was exiting before being shot and killed early Sunday morning, according to a spokesman for the U.S. Secret Service.
The man, who was in his early 20s and from North Carolina, had a gas can and a shotgun, according to Anthony Guglielmi, the spokesman. He had been reported missing by his family a few days ago, and investigators believe he headed south and picked up the shotgun along the way.
The man killed was identified by investigators as 21-year-old Austin Tucker Martin, according to a person familiar with the matter. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss details of the investigation.
What to know:
- The president and first lady Melania Trump were at the White House when the breach at Mar-a-Lago occurred.
- The U.S. has been rocked multiple times by political violence. In just the past year, conservative activist Charlie Kirk was assassinated, as was the Democratic leader in the Minnesota state House and her husband. Another Minnesota lawmaker and his wife were shot, and there was an arson attack at Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro’s home.
FBI to devote ‘all necessary resources’ to Mar-a-Lago investigation
FBI Director Kash Patel said in post on X that the bureau would be “dedicating all necessary resources” to the investigation.
White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt comments on Mar-a-Lago incident
White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said in a post on X:
“In the middle of the night while most Americans were asleep, the United States Secret Service acted quickly and decisively to neutralize a crazy person, armed with a gun and a gas canister, who intruded President Trump’s home. Federal law enforcement are working 24/7 to keep our country safe and protect all Americans. It’s shameful and reckless that Democrats have chosen to shut down their Department.”
This is a developing story.