Teen pleads in Horry County school shooting

CONWAY, S.C. (AP) — A former student has pleaded to guilty charges in the discovery of explosive devices at Socastee High School last year. The 15-year-old boy entered an Alford plea on Monday to charges of attempted murder for shooting at a school resource officer. An Alford plea does not admit guilty, but acknowledges there is enough evidence for a conviction. He pleaded guilty to two counts of transporting or possession parts of a destructive device. The boy is to be sentenced Wednesday. Prosecutor Alicia Richardson says the former student faces up to 30 years in prison on the attempted murder charge and between two and 15 years in prison on the explosives charges. The boy’s attorney, Russell Long, says the plea will helm the youngster move to the next stage of his life. (Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Categories: Local News, News