Tasty Tuesday: Punxsutawney Phil Super Easy Chili
Tyler Ryan and Mary Ann Keim whip up the perfect 6 weeks of more winter keep you warm chili
LEXINGTON SC (WOLO) — So everyone’s favorite Pennsylvania ground living rat, Punxsutawney Phil, Seer of Seers, Sage of Sages, Prognosticator of Prognosticators, and Weather Prophet Extraordinary, decided to call for another six weeks of winter. Although as of late, he has made the right call only 39% of the time, making him less accurate than a coin toss, Tyler Ryan and Mary Ann Keim from Mak’s Meals decided to share a long winters night warm you up chili, that they dubbed Punxsutawney Phil Super Easy Chili.
PRO TIP: Always keep your knives sharp – they will cut better, and less likely to cut you
Here’s what you need:
1 lb 80/20 ground beef
1 red onion
1 green pepper
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
2 cans diced Italian tomatoes
1 Jar spaghetti sauce
2 c water or chicken stock
2 packs chili seasoning
1/4 c sugar
Oregano, basil, pepper, garlic and other spices
Here’s what you do:
- Peel and dice onion and pepper
- Put a small amount of olive oil in skillet
- Place ground beef into skillet, along with the onion and peppers
- Use a medium high heat, stirring often until meat is brown and vegetables are clear
PRO TIP: Stay cool and wear glasses when you peel and slice onions – Seriously – it will keep you from “getting emotional,” by protecting your eyes from a gas called Propanethiol S-oxide.
- While meat is browning, combine all other ingredients in a large stockpot
- Once brown, strain burger and stir into stockpot with other ingredients
- Strain and add beef/vegetables
- Cook for 30 min
- Once you pull it off the stove, let it set for about 10 minutes
- Top w sour cream or Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, crackers and chives
PRO TIP: Always feed the crew. It makes them happy…see?
Head on over to the Eatin’ Table, and the rest is culinary history.
…and don’t forget the dishes
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Tyler Ryan is an award winning television and radio personality, writer, investigative journalist, and professional emcee. He appears daily on ABC Columbia’s Good Morning Columbia, as well as the radio stations in the iHeart Media Network. Tyler also regularly appears as a criminal expert and journalist on regional and national crime based programs. You can contact him directly via EMAIL Or on the socials: Tyler’s Instagram // Tyler’s Facebook