10-month-old saved from choking inside Irmo restaurant

IRMO, SC (WOLO) –  A simple device many people have never heard of saved an unconscious 10-month-old who had choked on a piece of pancake.

Jon and Jayne Koehler were at Eggs Up Grill in Irmo when their son Gabriel began to severely choke. Seconds passed and a chilling realization of helplessness swept over the mother and father.

A room full of people all stopped, their focus no longer on their food; several rushed in to help. A nurse, a CPR instructor all tried to help but the minutes went by and Gabriel lost consciousness.

Had it not been for Major Hillard and his family who had a simple device collecting dust in their car that day, Gabriel’s parents know he may not still be here.

That device is called the LifeVac.

Watch the video above for the full story.

Here’s a web extra interview with LifeVac’s CEO.

Jon Koehler made a public post on Facebook thanking everyone involved.

Categories: Local News